Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I'm melllllllllllting....

I'm not sure that I've ever been more grateful for air conditioning. It is really, really hot here. The portiere at the academy keeps insisting that it is supposed to cool off soon, but the Weather Channel says only by a single degree a day. Hah.

I haven't been going out ane exploring all that much, definitely less than I would want, just because it's so hard to make myself leave the nice cool apartment. I can really see why the Italians have their riposo - it is absolutely too hot from 1-4 to be doing anything. So they have a long leisurely lunch and maybe a nap.

I got a bit dehydrated today, I think. The Classical Summer School group was going to the Palatine, and their leader asked Dr. Leach to lead them around, and she agreed on the condition that Eve and I could come too. It was really neat, and I saw a whole lot of things that I had never seen before (pictures soon), but by the end of it I was really dragging. By the time I got back close to my apartment, I realized in kind of a vague way that I had gotten a little tunnel-visiony, but instead of doing the smart thing and stopping to buy a bottle of water, I just kept thinking that once I got back to my apartment, I would get a drink and rest. Obviously not a good idea, but I learned my lesson. At least it's good to know that I can find my way back to my apartment on autopilot, but I need to carry a larger bottle of water. Needless to say, 500ml for 5 hours in the sun is not enough.

I really meant to go back out this afternoon once it cooled off a bit, but again the AC got the better of me. Before dinner I ducked down to the little grocery story across from my apartment, but immediately came back and fixed myself a nice cool salad for dinner.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yikes!
Be careful.
It was hot in town today so we went to the beach. There was an on-shore wind and it was actually cold!! Huge surf! We got back to town and into the steam bath again.
Have you found a gelato stand?